president: Edith Cooper, Ph.D.
president-elect: Hillery Bosworth, M.D.
secretary: Juliette Meyer, Ph.D.
treasurer: David Gutman, M.D.
program chair: Hillery Bosworth M.D.
MEMBERS OF THE COUNCIL
Vaia Tsolas, Ph.D., 2013-2016
Dina Abell, M.D., 2014-2017
Talia Hatzor, Ph.D., 2015-2018
Marvin Wasserman, M.D., past president
Lila J. Kalinich, M.D., appointed advisor
Jules Kerman, M.D., Ph.D., appointed advisor
Donald Meyers, M.D., appointed advisor
George Sagi, M.D., appointed advisor
Jonah Schein, M.D., appointed advisor
REPRESENTATIVES TO THE AMERICAN PSYCHOANALYTIC ASSOCIATION
Jules Kerman, M.D., Ph.D., 2011-2013
Elizabeth Tillinghast, M.D., 2013-
The Association for Psychoanalytic Medicine was founded conjointly with the Columbia Center for Psychoanalysis and Psychoanalytic research in 1945. Arising in a climate of dissent and defection in American psychoanalysis that also gave birth to the Karen Horney Institute and New York branch of the William Alanson White Institute, the original membership of the APM broke with the New York Psychoanalytic Society, over issues of educational autonomy and professional integrity. Founding members, led by Drs. Sandor Rado and George Daniels among others, began to meet in 1942 and work towards the establishment of a graduate program for training and scientific study independent of their local society, the American Psychoanalytic Association, and its attendant political pressures. While permission to establish such a program was initially denied, the fundamental virtue of autonomous educational institutes was quickly recognized, and the association incorporated into Columbia University with the following mission: To foster high standards of training, practice and research in psychoanalytic medicine with other medical disciplines; to promote investigations in psychoanalytic and psychosomatic medicine; and to correlate psychoanalytic medicine with the other psychological and social sciences and thereby to develop further the foundation of psychodynamics as a basic science. The establishment of the Columbia “Clinic” for psychoanalytic treatment soon followed, and after several years of substantial political resistance, was certified as a training institute by the American Psychoanalytic Association in the winter of 1946. While early interests in war neuroses and psychosomatic illness have declined, the APM’s commitment to the highest level of postgraduate investigation and intellectual freedom remain hallmark characteristics of our endeavor. For further insight into the politics and struggles of this history, the interested reader is referred to: George E. Daniels, M.D., the Bulletin of the APM, 1971-72, Volume 11 No 1, 2 and 3